Sunday, June 5, 2011

悠扬的歌唱 Jambatan Tamparuli - 刘秋仪 Liu Qiu Yi




Jambatan Tamparuli: the bridge and the song it’s based on
by BEN on SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

“Jambatan Tamparuli” is the title of a Kadazandusun song composed and sung by Justin Lusah in the mid 1970s. In my opinion, Justin Lusah is Kadazandusun’s greatest ever songwriter. This song first appeared in his 2nd album. Also in my opinion, it is not his best song, and I can name several of his other songs which I think has better melody, but I am digressing here.

The song has reached heights never reached by other Kadazandusun songs before or since – it has been recognized as a national heritage, in essence, a national monument.

Well, now let’s see the actual bridge the song is based on.

Tamparuli town is located near the Tuaran river. There are 3 major bridges over this river, as can be seen from this Google Earth image. The image below is approximately at 6°8′ N, 116°15′E: